Monday, September 25, 2006

Life is but a Dream

Ok,

so,

It's been a while since I have added to this tome.

It is a beautiful autumn-style day in Nashville. I am drinking the jimmy-juice and enjoying the cool breezes that rise and fall down the street of dreams like the breath of the great dreamer himself - lost in reveries of gethsemanes and jubilees alike.



Readin' some killer pages right now. "Subterranean Kerouac" is as good as "Desolate Angel," my previous fave as the best bio of that sweet-dream child of the road.



Their are many Kerouac bios and I have read almost every one. "Sub" is different as it focuses on Kerouac's alcoholism and homosexuality in a way that no other book has. It is also a an unflinching look at the ramifications of the drug-use, drinking and sexual experimentation the Beats indulged in.

Where most authors glorify and celebrate these hi-jinx the Ellis Amburn writes in somber tones about the alcoholism that had poisoned Jack's family and eventually killed him, a disease he was driven to embrace by the internal war he fought with himself over his sense of bourgeois morality and success and his feelings for other men.



Jerry Hager and I are on schedule to finish the new CD - now entitled "Night and Day" - by the holidays. There will not be actual copies available at that time, but those in the know will be able to snatch a copy for themselves here and there.

The next edition of Radically Shifted - our quarterly zine - will be out soon. The first 2 issues are available at Davis Kidd and Rhino books in Nashville and select distributors around the U.S.

I have a few pages in the most recent Nashville Arts mag. I profiled 5 Nashville artists in a feature piece and also reviewed the "Picture Stories" show at the downtown library. Pick one up if you get a chance.



I ran into Julia Martin at Bongo yesterday. She was kind enough to remind me that Shane and Trisha were having people over to their new place for Trisha's b-day. Realizing that I had misplaced my knowledge of this event - and subsequently missed my ride with Tony - she graciously offered me the shotgun seat in her red Jeep and we cruised to a nice afternoon on the east side, complete with a 3 dogs, one Wee Feaster a delicious Mexican bean dip and 2 varieties of jambalaya.

Another great book I just finished is "The Beat Hotel," which chronicles the Beat's time in Paris. Check out this great Burroughs doc on Google video.




Be humble in your sleepy hands on this world.
Be a killer in Heaven.

Love, Joe Nolan


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home